Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Aloha to Blue and Gold - Happy 107th Birthday, Boy Scouts of America!


On this day in 1910, William D. Boyce incorporated the Boy Scouts of America. From the Boy Scout handbook, 

"Do a Good Turn Daily" is the Scout Slogan.

One Day in 1909 in London, England, an American visitor, William D. Boyce, lost his way in a dense fog. He Stopped under a street lamp and tried to figure out where he was. A boy approached him and asked if he could be of help.

"You certainly can," said Boyce. He told the boy that he wanted to find a certain business office in the center of the city.

"I'll take you there," said the boy.

When they got to the destination, Mr. Boyce reached into his pocket for a tip. But the boy stopped him.

"No thank you, sir. I am a Scout. I won't take anything for helping."

"A Scout? And what might that be?" asked Boyce.

The boy told the American about himself and his brother Scouts. Boyce became very interested. After finishing his errand, he had the boy take him to the British Scouting office.

At the office, Boyce met Lord Robert Baden-Powell, the famous British general who had founded the Scouting movement in Great Britain. Boyce was so impressed with what he learned that he decided to bring Scouting home with him.

On February 8, 1910, Boyce founded the Boy Scouts of America. From that day forth, Scouts have celebrated February 8 as the birthday of Scouting in the United States.

What happened to the boy who helped Mr. Boyce find his way in the fog? No one knows. He had neither asked for money nor given his name, but he will never be forgotten. His Good Turn helped bring the Scouting movement to our country.

In the British Scout Training Center at Gilwell Park, England, Scouts from the United States erected a statue of an American buffalo in honor of this unknown Scout. One Good Turn to oneman became a Good Turn to millions of American boys. Such is the power of a Good Turn.


My oldest son is an Eagle Scout. My youngest son is a Life Scout preparing for his Eagle Project. Scout has been good to (and good for) both my children. I recognize that Scouts - Boy and Girl - have endured scandals and controversies over the years. But the very heart of the programs is to train children to be good citizens.

Do you know any Scouts - Boy or Girl - in your family, among your friends, or in your community? I was a Girl Scout and Explorer (which became Venture Crew). One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Sunday, February 12, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Monday, February 13.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


17 comments:

  1. We were active in Scouts, both Boy and Girl, when our children were members. Both my husband and I were leaders in both. One daughter was an Explorer. It was one of the few options she had to continue her high adventure activities when we couldn't find any Girl Scout troops in the area that had programs. She was a counselor at the Virginia Boy Scout High Adventure camp (can't remember the name at the moment) for 4 or 5 years. Our son went to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. He also worked at our local Boy Scout camp. He was close to his Eagle and my husband was in Wood Badge training. Unfortunately, we had problems with several things that happened in our troop and Council, and they both left Scouts. I wish we had been in a different troop all along. Our grandson has earned his Eagle award and is still keeping in touch with Scouts now that he has graduated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a Brownie. The younger version of being a Girl Guide. I still have all of my badges and books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a brownie and a scout. Then all 7 of my children were active in the scouts for years. It's a wonderful organization.
    Carol.L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbor's boy is a boy scout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have friend's children and my nephews are in the scouts.
    lovesthemets@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know anybody in the boy scouts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't but like their cookies
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a brownie and later a girl scout. My son was in the boy scouts and my niece is a girl scout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't personally know any, but a few coworkers have daughters who are girl scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the interesting info! As you know, my daughter is a Girl Scout and I am a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother was an assistant leader and I did the same for 3 years. Both my daughters were in the scouts too. Great organization.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not active in Scouting now, but my family was while I was growing up. Just happy that BSA is more accepting of transgender kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. first I was an honorary cub scout (my Mom was a Den Mother), my brother became an Eagle Scout - I was a Girl Scout (missed out on Brownies) was a Junior (loved it), dropped out of Cadettes (the leader was mean) & went back in for Seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son is an Eagle Scout and my husband was one of his scout masters - both were in the Order of the Arrow. Many of my son's friends earned their Eagle as well so I know quite a few Eagle Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My older granddaughter is a scout.
    pattyb43coral@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know several Eagle Scouts who were friends of my older boys and a lot of younger scouts, plus many Girl Scouts.

    denise

    ReplyDelete
  17. My best friend's son is currently working on his Eagle Scout project.

    ReplyDelete